Breakfast: Veggie Omelet
- 1 cup of your favourite veggies
- 2 eggs
- whole milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté 1 cup of your favorite veggies in a skillet with a touch of olive oil, salt and pepper (I like to use spinach/callaloo, sweet pepper, onions and mushrooms!). Set aside.
- Whisk together 2 whole eggs, with a splash of whole milk (or dairy free alternative) and salt and pepper.
- Pour egg mixture into pre-heated skillet, add veggies, and flip/fold into omelet when ready.
- Enjoy with a slice of roasted breadfruit.
Serving size: 1, Calories: 345 Fat: 15g Saturated fat: 3g Carbohydrates: 36g Sugar: 2g Sodium: 300mg Fiber: 7g Protein: 17g
Snack: 1 cup watermelon, ½ cup papaya, 1 tbsp almond butter, 1 tbsp toasted rolled oats and cinnamon
Serving size: 1, Calories: 230 Fat: 10g Saturated fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 31g Sugar: 15g Sodium: 44mg Fiber: 4.5g Protein: 7.5g
Lunch: Stuffed Pepper Salad
- 1 cup cooked (or canned) lentils
- ½ cup cooked (or canned) chickpeas
- ½ cup cooked (or canned) kidney beans
- 4 bell peppers (any color), topped removed and seeded
- ⅔ cup diced salad tomatoes
- ½ cup red onion
- ½ scotch bonnet pepper, diced (optional)
- ⅓ cup cilantro, chopped
- ⅓ cup parsley, chopped
- ½ avocado pear, diced
- juice of 1 lime
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground sumac
- Pinch of sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Remove the top of the bell peppers by cutting down about ¼-1/2 inch. You’ll also “scoop” the insides out including the white pulp. Set aside.
- If you have cooked beans on hand, use those, if no you can use canned beans well rinsed.
- Cook lentils to the package directions- about 1- 1½ cups water boiled and add lentils, cook for 25-30 minutes or until tender.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all the beans, chopped veggies, and seasonings (everything except the avocado). Toss until combined and adjust seasonings to your desired taste.
- Using a large spoon, scoop the bean salad into the raw bell peppers.
- Top with fresh diced avocado before enjoying!
Serving size: 1, Calories: 250 Fat: 9g Saturated fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 34g Sugar: 10g Sodium: 400mg Fiber: 12g Protein: 10.5g Potassium: 862mg
Dinner: Eggplant ‘Parmesan’
- 1 eggplant
- 2 tsp Olive oil
- 1/4 cup feta or goat cheese
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp pesto sauce
- Cumin to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse and slice 1 eggplant. Pat dry with paper towels. Arrange on baking sheet,
- Season with 2 tsp olive oil, salt, pepper, and cumin to taste
- Bake at 375 for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven; sprinkle with ¼ cup feta/goat cheese, ¼ cup tomato sauce AND/OR 1 tbsp pesto sauce (make your own: blend fresh basil, olive oil, garlic, salt, in blender!)
Serving size: 1, Calories: 500 Fat: 33g Saturated fat: 15g Carbohydrates: 36g Sugar: 22g Sodium: 683mg Fiber: 18g Protein: 20g Potassium: 1560mg
Shannon Boorman is a nutritionist based in Kingston, Jamaica. You can find her at @feedyourbodhi on Instagram