| Main ingredient: Okra. |
If my okra is not with Jamaican steamed fish, or a West African dish called gumbo, not to be confused with Louisiana gumbo, I like to grill it as a side dish. It tends to be less slimy grilled and is sublime. Super fond of red okras, but they do change colour when cooked.
- 16 large okras
- 4 tbsps vegetable oil, divided
- 3 stalks of escallion, sliced
- 12 mint leaves, roughly torn
- 1 small yellow scotch bonnet, seeded and roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Oil okras with 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil and place on a hot griddle pan and grill for 2 to 3 minutes or until charred. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix esccallion, mint and scotch bonnet with the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil.
- Place okras on a platter and pour over the seasoned oil.
JuicyChef’s Caribbean Harvest Recipes
A market’s fresh produce is the primary source of inspiration for many cooks worldwide. Outside of supporting small farmers, produce tends to be fresher and more affordable. Perfect for those of us who are watching our wallets these days. Budget ingredients often transform into elegant and beautiful dishes. Beyond our fantastic traditional cuisine, JuicyChef’s Caribbean Harvest Recipes give a fresh look at Caribbean produce and stimulate ideas of other possibilities for the bounty we have been blessed with.