| Main ingredient: Tomato. |
Pomodoro in Italian means tomato. This 6 ingredient sauce is infused with fiery scotch bonnet. I only describe this dish as a cheat as it is for days I do not feel like making gnocchi from scratch and want a fast, yummy meal on the table that takes 30 minutes.
- 8 plum tomatoes, cut in half, seeds removed and chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ scotch bonnet, finely chopped (seeds in or out depending on your heat tolerance)
- ½ tsp sugar
- 4 tbsps chopped fresh herbs (basil, flat leaf parsley), divided
- 100ml good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 package store bought gnocchi
- Freshly grated or shaved parmesan
- In a medium saucepan over medium high temperature, heat the olive oil and then add the onions, sauté for 3 minutes until softened then add the garlic and scotch bonnet and cook for a minute more.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, 3 tbsps of the fresh herbs, give a good stir, bring to a boil and then lower the temperature to medium low and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes. Taste and check the acidity while simmering. You may need to add sugar to round off the flavour.
- While sauce is simmering, get another pot of salted boiling water going and cook gnocchi according to package directions.
- Add gnocchi to sauce and toss to coat, divide amongst 4 plates, scatter over the remaining herbs and top with freshly grated or shaved parmesan. Serve immediately.
JuicyChef’s Caribbean Harvest Recipes
A market’s fresh produce is the primary source of inspiration for many cooks worldwide. Outside of supporting small farmers, produce tends to be fresher and more affordable. Perfect for those of us who are watching our wallets these days. Budget ingredients often transform into elegant and beautiful dishes. Beyond our fantastic traditional cuisine, JuicyChef’s Caribbean Harvest Recipes give a fresh look at Caribbean produce and stimulate ideas of other possibilities for the bounty we have been blessed with.