| Main ingredient: Carrots. Vegan. |
One of my signature dishes is a guava glazed lamb which was created in my Paris kitchen when homesick for Jamaica. I had a vegetarian friend and did not want her to feel left out so outside of the tofu I made for her, glazed some carrots, unsure if it would work out as well as my go-to standard honey glazed carrots. Not only did she enjoy it, but my meat-loving friends too. Another time I added my friend Simo’s rum-infused salt to my carrots which added another dimension.
- 500g carrots
- 80g guava jam
- Sprinkle of black sesame seeds
- A couple pinches Simo’s Appleton salt to garnish (optional)
- Steam carrots until just cooked through.
- In a frying pan melt the guava jam, add cooked carrots and toss to glaze.
- Sprinkle with black sesame seeds (and rum salt if you can get your hands on it) and serve.
JuicyChef’s Caribbean Harvest Recipes
A market’s fresh produce is the primary source of inspiration for many cooks worldwide. Outside of supporting small farmers, produce tends to be fresher and more affordable. Perfect for those of us who are watching our wallets these days. Budget ingredients often transform into elegant and beautiful dishes. Beyond our fantastic traditional cuisine, JuicyChef’s Caribbean Harvest Recipes give a fresh look at Caribbean produce and stimulate ideas of other possibilities for the bounty we have been blessed with.