| Main ingredient: Starfruit (Carambola). Vegan. |
This sweet and sour chutney spiced with pimento, ginger and scotch bonnet makes a delightful accompaniment to curries, rice bowls and roast foods. It is also lovely with cheese and crackers. I look forward to when my tree bears fruit a couple times per year.
- 500g chopped or sliced starfruit
- 75 ml cane vinegar
- 50g brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pimento grains, crushed
- 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 scotch bonnet pepper, finely chopped
- 50g raisins
- Add all the ingredients to a medium saucepan over high heat, bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer.
- Stir ingredients occasionally and continue to cook until jammy, roughly 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool down to room temperature and serve immediately or add to a sterilised jar and use within 7 days.
JuicyChef’s Caribbean Harvest Recipes
A market’s fresh produce is the primary source of inspiration for many cooks worldwide. Outside of supporting small farmers, produce tends to be fresher and more affordable. Perfect for those of us who are watching our wallets these days. Budget ingredients often transform into elegant and beautiful dishes. Beyond our fantastic traditional cuisine, JuicyChef’s Caribbean Harvest Recipes give a fresh look at Caribbean produce and stimulate ideas of other possibilities for the bounty we have been blessed with.