| Main ingredient: Avocado. Contains dairy, nuts and seeds. |
Serve this chunky avocado salad with crackers or smeared on regular or fancy toast. Our avocado tree bears fruit towards the end of September into early October, it is such a delight and my friends arrive with bags to share in the bounty. Otherwise, I buy ‘pears’ as we affectionately call them from street or market vendors. This recipe is vegetarian but can be made vegan if the feta is omitted.
- 3 tbsps mix of your favourite nuts, toasted and crumbled
- 1 tsp sesame seeds, dry toasted
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds, dry toasted
- 3 ripe avocados
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Crumbled feta, for garnish (optional)
- Herbs for garnish
- Cut avocados in halves, remove seeds, scoop out flesh and add to a bowl with lime juice, herbs, salt and pepper and crush with a fork for a rough yet creamy texture.
- Add nuts, seeds and crumbled feta if using, then sprinkle with lime zest and herbs. Serve immediately.
JuicyChef’s Caribbean Harvest Recipes
A market’s fresh produce is the primary source of inspiration for many cooks worldwide. Outside of supporting small farmers, produce tends to be fresher and more affordable. Perfect for those of us who are watching our wallets these days. Budget ingredients often transform into elegant and beautiful dishes. Beyond our fantastic traditional cuisine, JuicyChef’s Caribbean Harvest Recipes give a fresh look at Caribbean produce and stimulate ideas of other possibilities for the bounty we have been blessed with.