A Meatless Monday Recipe
- Olive Oil
- String Beans and Callaloo —available year round and affordable! And very good for you
- Skellion — instead of onions to Jamaicanize it
- String Beans
- 1.5L vegetable stock
- Chop skellion
- Separate greens from whites — the greens are good for anemia
- Starting off with the whites
- To a warm pot add the olive oil
- Add the pearl barley
- Pour in the wine — allow the wine to be absorbed and cook off the alcohol
- Pour in the vegetable stock
- Let cook for 30-35 minutes
- While that’s cooking finish prepping the ingredients
- Time to add the veggies
- Vegans use vegan parmesan and vegan butter!
- A little salt and pepper
- Lemon adds a little brightness to the dish — or lime!
And voila! Time to nyam.
Good as a main meal or as a side dish